Motor Condition Monitoring (MCA)™ and Motor Current Signature Analysis (MCSA)™Services
Motor Circuit Analysis (MCA)™ Testing
Motor Circuit Analysis (MCA™), an offline (de-energized) testing procedure is the most powerful condition monitoring technology for evaluating the health of your electrical motor circuit, from the load side of the motor starter all the way through motor windings. MCA effectively identifies defects causing motor failures as well as energy inefficiencies within the motor windings. The advantage to testing from the MCC is that the entire electrical portion of the motor system, including the connections and cables between the test point and the motor, is evaluated.
Motor Circuit Analysis (MCA™) can deliver desired returns on energy savings, equipment reliability improvements and increased production capacity. Motor Circuit Analysis (MCA™) detects:
- Current imbalance and loading issues
- Power quality disturbances (harmonics, voltage imbalance, power factor anomalities)
- Circuitry and motor insulation breakdown/degradation
- Rotor damage (loss of torque, loss of HP
- Loose motor foundation (soft foot, sprung, foot)
- Eccentricity in rotors (motors, sheaves, fans)
- Belt Defects
- Vane/Blade Pass
- Gearing Defect (Broken tooth, backlash, looseness)
- Bearing Defects
Motor Current Signature Analysis (MCSA)™
Motor Current (Electrical) Signature Analysis(MCSA)™ is an online (energized) test method where voltage and current waveforms are captured while the motor system is running, to assess the health of the motor system. Energized testing provides valuable information for AC induction and DC motors, generators, wound rotor motors, synchronous motors, machine tool motors, and more.
Online testing is performed while the motor is operating within its normal environment and operating conditions and provides insight regarding power quality and conditions such as voltage levels, unbalances, distortion as well as any defect in the mechanical drive train causing torsional loads back onto the motor such as misalignment, coupling problems, and certain bearing defects.
Motor Circuit Analysis (MCSA™) and Motor Current (Electrical) Signature Analysis (MCSA)™ analyses conditions in:
- AC/DC Motors
- VFD Applications
- Generators / Alternators
- Servo Motors and Machine Tool Motors
Applications of Motor Circuit Analysis (MCA™) and Motor Current (Electrical) Signature Analysis (MCSA)™ include:
- Reliability Testing
- Commissioning Testing for new or reconditioned motors prior to being put into service
- Quality Assurance (QA) tool for acceptance testing of new or reconditioned motors prior to them being stored.
- Troubleshooting tool to test the integrity of an installed motor’s insulation system
- For Energy Evaluation